Friday, February 17, 2012

honduras

It has been a while since I have blogged and I have quite a bit to blog about now!! First, I will start off with my trip to Honduras. On January 28, my mom and I headed to San Pedro Sula in Honduras with a group of doctors, nurses, dentists, and pharmacists and it was an amazing trip! Once we got to San Pedro Sula, we went to the missionary compound where we stayed for the first night. Sunday morning, we all loaded up on a bus and drove 7 hours in to the mountains to the village of Guajiquiro.
In Guajiquiro, we stayed at a school. The school was on break so it was open for us to use and it was perfect! I mean, it definitely was NOT a 5-star hotel BUT it was everything that we needed and we did amazing things while we were there.
This is one of my favorite pictures that I took! It is just a picture of part of the courtyard at the school
This is a picture of the school where we stayed. The rooms were (from the right) a bathroom, the room I stayed in, the kitchen, the medical room/bedroom, and then not pictured were the dental, optical and pharmacy rooms that were also bedrooms as well. Every morning we had to wake up, stack our cots and then set up the rooms again.
This is a picture of one of the cutest little boys that I have ever seen in my life!!!
This is a family that traveled 7 hours to come to our clinic. And when I say traveled 7 hours, I mean that they walked 7 hours down a mountain to come to our clinic and then walked 7 hours back up a mountain. It was so humbling to know that they went through so much just to get a check up and all that I have to do is send a text message to my doctor. They are extraordinary people.
Another adorable child!!!!!
Yet another one. If you haven't noticed yet, I was absolutely in LOVE with the children! They were the cutest in the world!
Throughout the week, we had a group of Honduran staff that helped us with just about everything. They were our movers, handymen, translators, and anything else we needed them to be!! The one in the back in the blue jacket is Jorge, the Honduran dentist. The two on the far right, the one in the hat and the other one in the blue jacket, were my two translators. They were my saviors and were absolutely amazing!
This is me and Mrs. Terry with our translators, Arturo and Jimmy. We worked the first station that all of the patients came to. We took blood pressure, vital signs, and basically just did a quick over look at everyone before sending them to whichever room they needed to go to.
This is Dr. Hagood (who just so happens to be my doctor). He was amazing with all of the Honduran patients.
This is the whole group of us in our matching red t-shirts that we wore on the plane to and from Honduras. The guy in the very front in the Arkansas Razorbacks shirt is Michael. He was the missionary that arranged where we were staying, got our translators, our Honduran staff and basically just took care of every one of our needs while we were there. He was amazing!
This is the medical team. We were the best team throughout the week! :)
Going to Honduras was without a doubt one of the most amazing things that I have ever gotten the chance to do. I was so blessed to have the opportunity to go to Honduras. God provided me with everything that I needed. He helped me raise the money, and everything just fell in to place. I am hoping and praying that I get to go back next year. It is definitely something that I want to continue to do as much as I possibly can!

No comments:

Post a Comment