We are finally on our European Trip!! It has been so much fun already and it's only Day 2! I am so happy to finally be able to share one of my favorite places with my mom! I just wish my whole family were here with me! Especially you Erin - since we both share our study abroad love for this gorgeous city! (:
We got here yesterday around 11:30 am. It was a LOOONNNGGGG trip! I think we calculated it to around 20 hours total - including an 8 hour flight from Chicago to Frankfurt. Unfortunately for me, I do not sleep well on airplanes so the sleep was minimal. Thankfully Lufthansa had WONDERFUL movie choices - I got to watch 3 of the Bourne movies and A League of Their Own (and if you know me well you know how happy the latter choice made me). Once we finally made it to our hotel, we decided to take a little power nap (aka 4 hours).
We finally woke up around 4ish and decided to get up and go out and about since it was not raining and there was even some sunshine!! Here is one of my favorite views of Salzburg. You can see the fortress all the way up there!
After I took the photo above, we decided to walk up to the fortress! The forecast all week is supposed to be rainy and a little cold (just like it was last time I was here). Unfortunately for my mom, I decided that we should walk all the way up to the fortress rather than spend 16 euros on a ticket to take the tram up. Well, I guess my memory was a little fuzzy because the trek to the top was BRUTAL. If you look at the square in the photo, you can see little dots - those are the people. I think that should give you a pretty good idea of how far up it is to the fortress! And if you look to the left, you can see tracks - that's the track for the tram; we took it down from the fortress! (:
But in my opinion, it was all worth it. I got my exercise in and I got to have this view. I mean, look at that! I don't know how anyone could complain about having to walk a ways and then get this kind of view. I just love Austria!
This is my mom and I at the top of the fortress with the gorgeous city of Salzburg behind us!
This wonderful building behind me, built in 1558, is where I spent every Monday-Friday at while I was studying abroad here in Salzburg. It is sad to think that students studying abroad now are experiencing something different - although I am sure it is equally as wonderful!
Today (Tuesday), my mom and I slept it late (I think we're recovering from yesterday's hiking). When we finally awoke there was a gap in the raining and we decided to head out and see Mirabel, which is right down the street about 2 blocks from our hotel. I love Mirabel. It is one of the prettiest (man-made) locations in Salzburg, in my opinion.
Who needs a photographer when you have an iPhone and can take a panoramic shot? (:
Well, that is all for days 1 and 2! Can't wait to share what happens next as we are currently deciding what cities to see after this!
Xo


No comments:
Post a Comment