Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Nan and Mal Visit Europe - Day 3

Today was a very fun day for my mom and me.  We woke up early, had a great German breakfast and headed out in to the cold cold rain for a day filled with the Sound of Music.  Now, if you know my family at all then you know how obsessed we all were with this movie while growing up.  I mean, who in their right mind goes on vacation and only answers to their parents if they refer to you as the name of whichever child you chose to be for that day and only called your mom "Maria?"  - We also did other things that prove that we weren't in our right minds, and still aren't, but that's for another day.
We were about 45 minutes early for our tour this morning so we just hung out around Mirabel and we found our tour bus.  No one was around (like that would have mattered anyway) so we decided to get a picture with our tour bus! The best part about this photograph (and others where we are standing apart) is that we actually took this photo ourselves.  Thank you Apple and your ingenious, easy-to-use panorama option while taking photos. 

One of the places we went on our Sound of Music tour was the village of Mondsee.  I really enjoy going to the Lake and Mountain District here in Salzburg.  Even on the coldest, rainiest, and cloudiest days (like today) you really can't beat the views.  That goes for all of Austria, actually. 
Anyway, Mondsee is a neat little village which holds this beautiful cathedral right in the middle of the town.  The most special thing about this cathedral is that it is where the wedding scene from the Sound of Music takes place - not at the Abbey where the movie makes you believe it is at.  
Austria had chevron before chevron was cool! (:

Out of all of the cathedrals that I have been to all around the world, this one is probably my favorite.  I love all of the pink and white and the gold.  It's absolutely breath taking when you walk in the door.  I have seen this cathedral 2 or 3 times already and it still amazes me.

One of the first places we went to on our tour was located at one of my favorite places in all of Salzburg.  Helbrunn Palace.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to go in to Helbrunn but it still made me happy to be on the grounds! (I did a post back in June of 2010 about Helbrunn if you want to see what it is).
During the filming of the Sound of Music, 3 gazebos were used.  This is the only one that was "real."

After Helbrunn, we headed to Schloss Leopoldskron.  I absolutely love this place.  It is only a short walk from the home that I lived in while studying abroad here in Salzburg and we came here many times!  This is now privately owned so you can only see it from across the lake, which is probably the best for tourists because you get to see the entire home.  This is the home that was used during the filming for the terrace and the lake where all of the kids fell in when they fell out of the boat after their day out with Maria.

This is my mom and I at one of our stops through the Lake and Mountain District.  Behind us you can see Lake Wolfgang.  This is my favorite lake/village (St. Gilgan) to visit.  It is absolutely beautiful and it has so many neat things to see.  Unfortunately, this is as close as we got but it was still a beautiful "visit." (Another shot taken by us!) (:

Needless to say, it was a cold and rainy day today for our tour but it was still fun and definitely worth it!  Tomorrow we are headed to Innsbruck, Austria for the day!  I am really excited about it since I have never been to Innsbruck and my mom gets to have her first European train experience!
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment